[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r22428 - Deprecation API for functions and methods.

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Feb 1 12:30:12 EST 2008

On 07:46 am, jml at mumak.net wrote:
>On Feb 1, 2008 4:11 PM,  <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
>>On 04:34 am, jml at mumak.net wrote:

>> >- getVersionString is used only by deprecate.
>>
>>So, perhaps this and str() should be the same thing.  Is there really
>>reason for omitting the svn revno here?
>
>Is there a reason for including it?

Diagnosing warnings and errors from development versions is easier if
they properly report that they're development versions.  The SVN version
will be omitted if it's not discovered, anyway.  (Though the SVN version
discovery code needs to be fixed up, a separate issue.)
>getVersionString should probably be str()

Cool.
>>The point of having a project name in a version is to specifically
>>qualify the version to alert about meaningless comparisons.  "Twisted
>>version 2.5.0" does not meaningfully compare to "Python version
>>2.5.0",
>>despite being apparently equal if you elide the project name.
>
>And the number of times we've constructed a twisted Version object for
>Python is how many?

Sorry, a better example would be "'Twisted version 2.5.0' does not
meaningfully compare to 'Axiom version 2.5.0'".  And that's where this
versioning code came from in the first place, so yes, we've built one or
two of those objects :-).
>>primarily
>> >
>> >Right. I propose we do nothing.
>>
>>An easy position to defend.
>
>Its virtue is its clarity.
>
>I fall from my earlier motion and move that we move make
>Version.__str__ behave like getVersionString and delete
>getVersionString. Or, see the attached patch.

That also works for me.
>I'm off to a party where the drinks are on Google.

Cool, have a good time.  But next time, try to score a party where the
*cars* are on google.  With their accounting they might not be able to
tell the difference!