[Twisted-Python] shared list in factory, mutexes?

Simon Pickles sipickles at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 15 02:25:28 MDT 2008

Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
> each thread is an individual self-contained unit that does whatever
> processing it needs to do however long it may need to take, and the OS
> takes care of scheduling each thread, but with twisted, the main
> thread executes each connection one by one sequentially and thus if
> one of them needs to to some lengthy processing, it will block all
> other connections from being processed, so you have to use threads to
> keep it from blocking, but somehow the active connection should become
> inactive while the processing thread does it's work, so that another
> connection can be processed in the meantime.

Hi Gabriel,

Have you considered implementing Stackless python in partnership with
Twisted? I am finding it very useful for handling multiple concurrent
connections in a single thread. (it uses a scheduler which can switch
between tasklets, in a yield fashion.)

The programmer has complete control over where this tasklet switching
takes place, vastly simplifying things over multi-threading. If one
connection involves some heavy processing, I simply add a
stackless.schedule() in the blocking loop which allows waiting jobs to
run too. Overhead for this tasklet switching is almost negligible too,
unlike threads.

Regards

Simon