[Twisted-Python] Performance issues of twisted.

Peter Cai newptcai at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 10:33:41 MDT 2008

Hi all!

I am preparing to write a server application (you may think of it as an
online game server) with twisted, but I am worrying about it's performance
and how to do it correctly.

For example..

1. UDP or TCP,which should I choose to gain higher performance?

2. Should I catch data in memory instead of write it to db immediately?

3. Could I make it run on cluster if cache data in memory ―― I think it
might be quit hard to exchange data between instances of the server if I
cache data in memory.

4. How to make hot backup?

5. Garbage collection might make the server halt for a moment

6. What is happening in a computer when an IP package received?

7. Could I get some inspiration from how people write web server?

8. If i use an separate physical server to deploy the database, could I gain
some performance improvement?  Or the cost of communication between the db
and the server could hurt the total performance?

……

And so on..

Also, is there any classical books talking about these kind of issues?
Thanks a lot