[Twisted-Python] Problem with unittesting HTTP POST resource

Teemu Harju teemu.harju at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:15:36 MDT 2008

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!
I was kind of struggling in my mind about whether to post to twisted-python
or twisted-web list and I guess I chose the wrong one because I assumed that
the problem was in they way I was using trial. Anyways, thanks again and
Twisted is awesome. ;-)

- Teemu

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Grant Baillie <grant at osafoundation.org>
wrote:

> On 8 Apr, 2008, at 04:28, Teemu Harju wrote:

>  My problem is that I'm experimenting with "trial" to be able to test my
> > code. (I've heard that it is a wise thing to do ;-)). What I have is a
> > simple HTTP resource that allows POSTing data. I made this example to
> > illustrate my problem...

>     def test_postdata(self):
> >        d = client.getPage(self.getURL("test"), method="POST",
> >                           postdata=urllib.urlencode({"test": "data"}))
> >        d.addCallback(self.failIfEqual, "{}")
> >        return d
> >

> You need to specify a Content-Type in your POST request, e.g.:
>
>        d = client.getPage(self.getURL("test"), method="POST",
>                           postdata=urllib.urlencode({"test": "data"}),
>                           headers={"Content-Type":
> "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"})
>
> Otherwise, your POST request is sent as text/html, and the HTTP server
> code won't know to parse args out of the request body.
>
> (Probably this should have gone to twisted-web rather than twisted-python,
> since in the end it wasn't really about trial, but http ;).
>
> --Grant

Teemu Harju

email/jabber: teemu.harju at gmail.com
blog: http://www.teemuharju.net

~~ "A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows." ~~