[Twisted-Python] win32 reactors

James Mansion james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Wed Apr 2 16:24:32 MDT 2008

Cory Dodt wrote:
> Resolving a bug includes gathering requirements and building
> consensus, but building
> consensus goes much faster if there's an implementation handy to
> discuss.  Even a
> quick hack is useful as a discussion point.  A very common scenario is
> that a quick
> hack is eventually refined into a unit tested, UQDS-vetted
> implementation.  However,
> a hand-waving discussion never is.

Call me old-fashioned, but what you are describing is the difference
between design-free-hacking
followed by iteration, and actually designing something.  You know, all
that waterfall stuff. I know,
its not fashionable right now.

Seriously, though, its too late at the review-of-nearly-working-code.
There's too much
pressure to incrementally fix it, and at least one participant will have
a sense of ownership
in something that might be a country mile from the best solution.

I know its easier to design when you can meet each other and use a white
board or
just scribble on paper, but its still entirely possible to use words.

So - I disagree.  I'm quite happy to hand-wave, and to listen to my
colleagues'
hand-waving. If it communicates design ideas - and requirements - before
any wasteful
coding, that's good. Honest.

> Still, things get fixed when someone fixes them.  It falls on the
> person who needs them
> fixed to do so, no matter whether you're talking about software or rain gutters.

Hmm.  You sure it doesn't happen after the prioritisation meeting and we
all get our
steer?

James