[Twisted-Python] Forcing telnet connections to character mode using twisted.conch.telnet.Telnet

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Apr 24 15:24:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:54:41 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Schmersal <bschmer at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I've been using twisted for about 36 hours now and have an application put together, but in order to get it working just the way I want it to, I want to force the other end of the telnet connection to go into character-at-a-time mode.  I haven't seen any examples of setting IAC options, but perhaps I haven't been looking in the proper places.
>
>Does anyone have any hints?

twisted.conch.telnet.Telnet has four methods for option negotiation:
do, dont, will, and wont.  These correspond to IAC DO, IAC DONT, IAC
WILL, and IAC WONT, respectively.  You probably want to do something
with the LINEMODE option, but I forget what exactly.  Once you enable
LINEMODE, you'll probably want to do some subnegotiation about it.
Telnet has a requestNegotiate method for this.  A quick look at RFC
1184 suggests that what you want is roughly IAC DO LINEMODE and,
assuming that succeeds, IAC SB LINEMODE MODE (~EDIT & other) IAC SE.
This is easy enough to do with the Telnet class:

    d = self.do(LINEMODE)
    def cbLinemode(ignored):
        self.requestNegotiate(LINEMODE, LINEMODE_MODE + '\0')

You'll also need an enableRemote implementation which allows LINEMODE
to be enabled (it just needs to return True for that option).

Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out. :)

Jean-Paul