[Twisted-Python] documentation / kqueue / feedback

Gabriel Rossetti mailing_lists at evotex.ch
Thu Apr 17 02:49:22 EDT 2008

glyph at divmod.com wrote:

> [...]
> then claiming it's "vital" to the project's success.  The project is
> succeeding, so clearly it is not vital: QED.  It may be important to
> you: that's great. Do some work to support it.  Once it's supported,
> buildbot will listen to its tests and it won't break again.
>
> For those projects which really do benefit from high multiplexing
> volume with something like kqueue, Twisted offers an extremely
> abstract API where the multiplexing mechanism is independent of the
> application code. You can, at any moment, replace the reactor and your
> application will keep working.  So even if kqueue support does not
> exist at all, you can add it with Twisted much more easily than if you
> wrote your own select() loop.
>
> You might say, in fact, that Twisted is vital to a platform-specific
> tool like Kqueue, because otherwise almost nothing will use it.
>> - How about getting 1 version of pykqueue properly running and into TM ?
>
> Yes, how about that?  Maybe you could contribute to one of the
> numerous kqueue tickets already in the tracker.
>> - How about freezing some TM version (like 8.0) and updating/matching
>> docs?
>> (Of course, experiments are funny and intriguing, but quite some of
>> us out
>> here need sth. stable for everydays work)
>
> Twisted is very, very stable.  The next version (8.1) will break only
> code that is using APIs which have been outdated for literally
> _years_. There is no need to "freeze" anything, just update the
> documentation to what is most recent and do a new release including
> that documentation.
>> - How about writing some complete docs and tutorials? Sth. along the
>> lines
>> of "My first web server wit TM" (instead all those - sometimes
>> seeming to
>> contradict each other - snippets)
>
> Yes, how about that?  You can write documentation on your own site,
> and we will link to it.  Or, you could contribute to the core
> documentation.
>
> The bottom line: complaining like this is not very useful.  If you
> have time to help, then contributing patches and responding to reviews
> in the tracker is helpful.  If you don't have the time to actually do
> any work, then describing specific problems (in as much detail as
> possible!) is useful.  If you don't have time even for _that_, then
> cash donations to the foundation are useful.
>
> If you are interested in getting stuff in Twisted fixed, though,
> writing rambling complaints serves to do nothing but reduce our
> developers' already scarce motivation, make us think our work is not
> appreciated, and encourage us to spend time writing rambling responses
> like this one rather than fix the problems you're talking about.
>
> (Which is not to say this has been a _complete_ waste of time.  If one
> out of every fifty people I write a message like this to understands
> what I'm saying and becomes a long-time contributor, then it's

Hello,

there are links that are always broken, like for example :
http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/process.html,
if you look at this line :

"If you only need the final exit code (like
|commands.getstatusoutput(cmd)[0]|), the
|twisted.internet.utils.getProcessValue
<http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/twisted.internet.utils.getProcessValue>|
function is useful."

The link being :
http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/twisted.internet.utils.getProcessValue

All those types of links in the howtos/tutorials are bad. Should I write
a bugreport? If so, would an explanation like the one above suffice (I
can't find all the links in the tutorials that are bad)?

Gabriel