[Twisted-Python] Vertex or other P2P libraries for twisted?

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sat Apr 5 00:24:19 EDT 2008

On 4 Apr, 06:56 pm, vince6 at offshore.ai wrote:
>I would like a library that I can use from Twisted to help with
>peer-to-peer communication.  I have looked at and tried Vertex:
>
>  http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/UsingVertex
>
>This is the kind of thing I want.  But I am having some problems with
>it.  Are there other similar libraries out there?  What are people
>using?

Hi!  I'm the main author of Vertex.

As far as I know, there's nothing really similar to Vertex, especially
not for Twisted.  I'm really glad you're looking at it though!  As
you've noticed, it's got some bugs, and it needs maintenance.  However,
to sustain maintenance there has to be some interest, and with bugs it's
difficult to attract interest ;-).

Vertex is a very interesting proof of concept though, and a lot of work
has gone into it; it wouldn't be a huge amount of work to turn it into
something really robust (and awesome).  In any event, it would be a lot
less work than doing it over from scratch :).
>The problem we have with Vertex is sending from Windows to Linux.  We
>can do Linux to Windows.

A few other users have reported issues with Windows.  Is it this?
http://divmod.org/trac/ticket/1369
>The error we get is in file ptcp.py
>in class PTCP
>def connect(self, factory, host, port, pseudoPort=1)
>with factory <vertex.q2q.RPTCPConnectionAttempt instance at 0x010CEBE8>

Can you be a bit more specific?  Is there a traceback?  Is there an
exception?  Please provide as much information as possible.  You may
want to sign up for the divmod-dev list, which might be more appropriate
for discussing Vertex.  On the other hand Twisted users might be
interested in hearing about semi-transparent NAT traversal and federated
authentication...