[Twisted-Python] Wrapping a Perspective

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 13:54:34 EDT 2007

Hi Rasjid:

> It might be possible to create a new twisted reactor
> that integrates into the python com server event
>loop. That would presumably be the correct way to
>deal with this. But that would seem like far more
work
> that I have time to devote to this problem at this
> time.

Hopefully, I understood your problem correctly...

If you are willing to use Stackless Python, I would
recommend you use Christopher Armstrong's
threadlesss.py blockOn function. This would allow
Twisted calls to block. A few months ago, I posted a
solution that would work, but it would be overkill.

I am also curious why you can't use inline callbacks?

If I can find the time, I will post an example.

> So my question really is:
> What are the problems / brawbacks with running the
> twisted reactor in
> a non-main thread, provided all calls to the reactor
> are done through
> twisted.internet.blockingCallFromThread?

I have used threads with Twisted and Stackless and
found I took a performance hit. Also I found it
prudent to heed the advice and try not to mix threads
with Twisted (or Stackless)

Cheers,
Andrew