[Twisted-Python] Need some help with my first Twisted program

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri Oct 26 12:05:18 MDT 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:41:50 -0400, "McCann, Brian" <bmccann at andmore.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>
>Could you point me in the direction of a better example?  I assumed that
>I could find what I needed if I dug hard enough in the API docs, but I
>just kept reaching dead ends.

The API docs are nice (in places), but nothing really beats diving into the
source itself.  There are some areas of Twisted which use obscure techniques
to achieve a goal, but for the most part the code isn't too hard to follow
(and this is improving all the time).  If I had the code in front of me again
I could probably tell you the particular path I traced up from your code into
conch to find a point where it was clear that the "closed" method is what you
want to override, but I don't at the moment - but that's all I did, looked at
the source, figured out what was called by what, step by step until I found
the feature you were interested in.  Now, I've used conch before, and maybe
even this feature of it, but I didn't consciously remember the answer until
I saw it in the code again this time.  Previous experience might have guided
me a bit in the right direction, but not much beyond that.

I might be able to provide some more specific guidance if you're still not
finding what you need, but probably not until sometime next week.

Jean-Paul