[Twisted-Python] UDP with multiple connections

Simon Pickles sipickles at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:24:02 MDT 2007

Thanks for the advice. My dilemma continues. In my game server, I
firstly tried an approach like divmod suggests, using TCP for 'slow'
operations like authentication, chat.

Then I tried to run a separate UDP thread doing 'fast' ops like position
updates. However I stumbled when the reactor didn't like not being in
the main thread (it was the second reactor in the app)

I've come to a new design now, where the server structure is split into:

auth, chat, generator, etc, plus a master 'conductor' - TCP using
python+twisted
game zone servers - C++/UDP

Using UDP for the game server is strongly recommended by my industry
contacts.