[Twisted-Python] Jellying Decimals?

Jasper jasper at peak.org
Tue Oct 9 17:55:33 MDT 2007

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:18:26 -0700, Jasper <jasper at peak.org> wrote:
>> Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>>
>> That was my impression from looking through the code as well; jelly
>> requires old style python classes, and that's that.
>>
>> I've hacked in a special case work around for Decimals, but it's just
>> a hack and not really suitable for general inclusion.  I'm reluctant
>> to put further work into it, as I recall that there is a new version
>> PB in the works, which I suspect will completely redo how things are
>> "jellied".
>
> Just to clarify, there isn't a new version of PB in the works.  There's
> Foolscap, which was called "newpb" for a while, but is developed outside
> of Twisted now.  There's also AMP, which doesn't really resemble PB at
> all, but is developed as part of Twisted.  PB itself is still maintained.
>
> Jean-Paul
I understand that PB is still maintained, but it's also a dead end
without further development, and rather lacking in a few areas.  From
the bits I've seen Foolscap looks like it'll be enough of an improvement
that I'll happily switch when it's done.  I'd actually switch now, but I
need something stable for the time being.

I hadn't been aware of AMP; after a quick look at the docs it seems a
bit low level for my purposes though, as I need to do more than just
send messages.

-Jasper