[Twisted-Python] Perspective broker and pipes

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Oct 31 09:33:13 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:24:50 +0100, Nitro <nitro at dr-code.org> wrote:

> [snip]
>
>How big is the actual performance impact? The throughput right now is  ~10-
>50 kbyte/s. Is there a better way than pipes? They were just the first
>thing that came to my mind.

TCP connections are the thing which is better. ;)  Now that I think of it,
though, I don't know anything about how pipes are implemented on Windows.

>If pipes are still ok for my situation, how would I continue? Implement
>some kind of PipeCommunication class which implements IProtocol? What's  the
>next step then? How do I plug this into pb?

You'll have to implement ITCPTransport based on a pipe.  You can probably
re-use some code in Twisted for this.  For example, FileDescriptor from
twisted.internet.abstract might provide part of the implementation for you.

You might want to look at a few other things in twisted.internet.interfaces,
too (eg, IReactorFDSet).

Jean-Paul