[Twisted-Python] Perspective broker and pipes

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Oct 31 07:59:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:41:10 +0100, Nitro <nitro at dr-code.org> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I wrote a pb application which also uses udp sockets. It works nicely. Now
>there's the situation where client and server are both located on the same
>machine. This means I could just connect to localhost and everything
>works. Unfortunately some firewalls warn about connections. I want to
>avoid this.
>So I thought about replacing the transports in pb with pipes instead of
>sockets if the server and client are both on the same machine. I'd have to
>do the same for my custom udp solution. Doing it for my custom udp code is
>easy, but how do I do this with pb?
>Do I just have to create some kind of reactor.createPipe() thing or is
>there more to it?

Since you're concerned about firewalls warning about connections, I'm
guessing you're thinking about Windows.  In that case, you can't use
IReactorUNIX and IReactorUNIXDatagram, which would perhaps meet your
use case (although for all I know, some firewall software warns about
UNIX connections).

There is no support for communicating over arbitrary pipes in Twisted.
There is incidental support for communicating with pipes connected to
another process created with reactor.spawnProcess, but the process API
is not the same as the IProtocol API.

In general, using pipes will lessen performance anyway.

Jean-Paul