[Twisted-Python] using Twisted with postgresql

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Tue Oct 16 00:20:35 EDT 2007

On 16 Oct 2007, at 13:40, Doris Lam wrote:
> I'm new to Twisted and is currently looking for a way to
> asynchronously do queries to a postgres database. From what I've
> seen it looks like there's a project called pgasync (http://
> jamwt.com/pgasync/) that does this, or I can use Twisted's adbapi
> and some other synchronous module. I'm wondering if anyone has used
> pgasync and how it compares to using adbapi and threads? From the
> pgasync site it seems the last update was in 2005, so I'm not sure
> if anyone's still maintaining it. If using adbapi's better, can I
> get some suggestions as to which postgres module I should use? So
> far I've seen pyPgSQL and psychopg that're both DB API 2 compliant.
> Any help will be appreciated!

I don't have any experience with PgAsync, but (while it's a very cool
idea), I personally would prefer to use a database wrapper that wraps
libpq - the standard, Postgres-supplied client library, shared with
and debugged by nearly every other tool that talks to Postgres -
rather than a wrapper that uses its own ground-up reimplementation.

I also don't have any experience with pyPgSQL, but I have used
psycopg2 and been impressed with its features and performance.