[Twisted-Python] OpenSSL problem

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Nov 30 09:30:25 MST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 8:10 AM, Andrew Francis wrote:

> error - Python was build with Visual Studio 7.1 and
> extensions need to be built with same version of
> compiler, but it isn't installed.
>
> I don't have Visual Studio 7.1. And I used a
> pre-compiled Stackless Python binary. Is there an easy
> way to get around this without say, recompiling
> Stackless (and compiling OpenSSL) with cygwin gcc?

The error message is in error.  Here is the Python issue ticket in
which the message was changed from stating that you have to use the
same compiler that was used to build Python, to instead stating that
you have to use a compiler that is compatible with the one that was
used to build Python:

http://bugs.python.org/issue1257728

In my experience, simply setting "compiler=mingw32" in your distutils
config file works for all extension modules that I have tried
*except* for pyOpenSSL.  I don't remember the details, but I have a
note here which says that I was unable to build pyOpenSSL for
myself.  Here's a ticket saying that I don't like pyOpenSSL because
it is unmaintained and I don't know how to build it:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/11

Note that there are apparently some problems with using the cygwin
gcc -mno-cygwin (a.k.a. the mingw32 compiler) to build Python
extension modules, but these problems are limited to specific kinds
of interaction between extension modules, namely that you can either
build your modules so that they can safely exchange std::iostreams
with the Python executable or with other modules that were built with
Visual Studio, or you can build your modules so that they can safely
exchange FILE*'s, but not both.

I haven't experienced this issue myself.  Here is a mailing list
message describing it:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2007-September/
008255.html

Regards,