[Twisted-Python] twisted framework for multiple application server herd?

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Nov 27 21:15:50 MST 2007

On 12:54 am, lemontea_rocks at yahoo.com wrote:
>how well Twisted is suited for this kind of application

Super well!
>and how well will it really work in practice.

Super DUPER well!!!
>In particular,  how easy is it to write applications using Twisted,

2 EASY !!!!!! [1]
>and how maintainable and reliable those applications will be?

A billion kajillion megamaintainotrons and a quintillion reliabinos.
>what might be the pros n cons of using twisted.

Pro: Twisted is great!!!!

Con: Twisted is so great, everything else will seem pretty bad after you
have used it.
>any comments?

In all seriousness, it sounds like your application is pretty well-
suited to Twisted's problem domain.  I suspect that you could use it and
be very successful - probably more successful than if you used something
else.

However, your applications' success, maintainability, ease of
implementation and time to market depend on thousands of factors, and
choice of infrastructure can influence some of them but it hardly
dominates.  Depending on other issues, you could possibly succeed wildly
while using a terrible environment, writing everything from your own TCP
stack on up entirely in assembler, or fail horribly while using Twisted
and doing everything right.

That's compounded by the fact that your questions are both highly
subjective and only have meaning in relation to other, similar tools -
and there are a lot of other tools like Twisted, depending on what you
think Twisted is like.  Is Twisted good?  Yes.  How good?  More good
than bad.  You're unlikely to get other answers on this list, after all,
everyone listening here has most likely decided to use Twisted for one
reason or another.

Do you have specific aspects of Twisted you intend to use, or
maintenance tasks that you expect to perform?  What would you like us to
compare it to?  What other technologies are you considering?  Have you
implemented anything like this before?  Using what infrastructure?  What
problems did you have?  How did you solve them?  Are you used to working
with the open source community?

Sorry I couldn't provide a more useful answer, but I hope I've at least
explained why I couldn't :).

---
[1]: with apologies to Tim and Eric http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
=qKA3B-eBIAE