[Twisted-Python] Seeking freelance twisted programmer to work on museum exhibit ...

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Wed Nov 21 20:10:12 MST 2007

We are looking for a friendly and talented Twisted programmer to work
part-time on an interactive museum exhibit.

Some background.  "On April 29, 1903, at 4:10 a.m., 82 million tonnes of
limestone crashed from the summit of Turtle Mountain and buried a
portion of the sleeping town of Frank [Alberta] ... The primary cause of
the Frank Slide was the mountain's unstable structure."  Here's a good
aerial photo of the mountain and slide debris:
    http://ess.nrcan.gc.ca/rrnh-rran/images/proj1_fig2.jpg

Our exhibit, due to be deployed in January at the Frank Slide
Interpretive Centre (white building adjacent to debris in above image),
is tasked with the reason for the collapse.  To do this, we have opted
to use a virtual time-line with a 65" screen moving electronically along
a 14ft (4m) industrial slide track.  The visitor, kept back from the
screen mechanism by a parallel guard rail, controls the screen position
via a slideable block.  The content, synced with the screen position,
shows the 150 million-year formation of the mountain and its eventual
collapse in 1903.

The Twisted work involves ethernet interfacing with a Gemini GV6K
hardware controller and PB communication with the pyObjC-based Quicktime
display code.  (An aside, we are also interested in logging visitor
usage to a local or remote database.)  As my Twisted experience is
limited, I can only guess that we are looking at 40-80 hours of work in
total.  While the schedule is flexible, we do need to start coding ASAP
to meet our first prototype deadline.  Work is remote, connecting by VPN
to the hardware in question.  As the deployment platform is OS X,
ideally the programmer would be using a Mac ... this isn't critical.

If you're interested, please contact me directly (darran at edmstudio.com)
with your resume/experience, hourly rate, and availability.

Cheers,
Darran.

--
Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]