[Twisted-Python] New to twisted- need help to hit stride

Keith Gunderson krgkg at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 08:32:02 MDT 2007

Hello group,

I've been lurking and watching for a while.  I need to change hats now and get some coding done.  I'm an engineer/ sysadmin/ dev and a public university who's been willingly forced to be a sysadmin after years of C/C++ development.

I'll be on IRC in the evenings.  I'm hoping to converse with some of you well-known folks (and others) so I can pick up speed w/ twisted/ python.  I definitely want to do things "by the books" (w/ respect to twisted methodology.)

I seem to be a mere step or two away from clicking, but I'm thinking in circles at the transition between design and implementation.  I need to decide how much to code from scratch, how much to borrow from twisted-related libraries, and how much is available from twisted itself.  Please offer suggestion for which classes/ libraries to use (and avoid) and even project skeletons to start with.

Use Cases:
- Emacs fragment manager:  sent & receive  blocks of text to a twisted server from emacs.  Sort by user, time, name.

-SSH command - line manager :  send command strings to twisted server.  Another fuzzy goal would be to have the commands run on other hosts by the twisted server.

-LDAP - user database authentication.

After implemeting those features, I expect to re-evaluate my skills and design so as to begin phase 2.

Feel free to make suggestions or wait for more pointed questions.

KGunderson