[Twisted-Python] Use of XML RPC, ssl and twisted.cred

Chaz. eprparadocs at gmail.com
Sat May 26 12:46:37 MDT 2007

I have an issue I am having some trouble figuring out. I have been using
SSL and XML-RPC/SOAP for a while without any problem. I now have to go
past the "normal" usage.

Inside of my XML-RPC/SOAP handler I need to get access to the X509
certificate of the client (I need to get access to some of the fields
inside the certificate).

When I asked before I was told the correct way to solve the problem was
to use avatars. Immediately I started looking into how to do it.
Yesterday I seemed to come to the conclusion that I don't see how
avatars (and realms) will help me.

It seems the SSL validation happens way before any sort of realm would
be involved (since realms seem to be tied into "logging into" the
system). All the examples I have found seem to be exactly this model.
What I can't seem to find is first, how to tie realms into XML-RPC or
SOAP. Secondly, how does the client's X509 certificate get into the
avatar. And thirdly, I just don't see how the avatar is even past into
the XML-RPC/SOAP handler.

I was wondering if one of the creators of Twisted could provide some
detailed guidance? If so, I will be more than happy to write  it up and
add it to the Twisted documentation for all to see and understand.

Thanks,
Chaz