[Twisted-Python] Re: Can I still run (most of) Twisted on Python 2.2?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Mon Mar 26 08:18:28 MDT 2007

"Christopher Armstrong" writes:

> On 3/26/07, Erik Forsberg <forsberg at cendio.se> wrote:
>> In TwistedCore/setup.py, I find that python 2.3 is required for
>> Twisted. I'd like to use Twisted for a project that currently requires
>> only Python 2.2, which raises the question - which parts of Twisted
>> requires 2.3, and how much of it can I run on Python 2.2?
>
> Dunno. However, are you sure the library you're using won't run on
> anything above Python 2.2? If so, is it a proprietary thing that you
> can't change?

The project I'm talking about is ThinLinc which is the main product of
the company I work for, and so far, we've been able to say that "it
runs on any Linux that is equal to or newer than RedHat Linux 7.3",
which is something of a strength.

We're now considering using twisted for parts of the product, and if
possible, we'd like to stay on the old requirements.

OTOH, requiring Python 2.3 is probably not a major problem. It's not
like we have any customers doing new installations on RHL7.3 :-).

I made a small investigation of the python version available on some
more or less aged Linux distributions. If someone's interested, here
the list:

Suse Linux Enterprise Linux 9 (SLES9): Python 2.3.3
Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 (SLED10): Python 2.4.2
CentOS4 (should be the same as RHEL4): Python 2.3.4
Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty, oldest Ubuntu available on http://packages.ubuntu.com): 2.3.4 available.
Debian stable/sarge: 2.3.5 and 2.4.1 available.
Red Hat Linux 9: Python 2.2.2

So, in practice, there's very few distributions that are relevant for
use with ThinLinc (it's a terminal server solution for Linux, so a
modern desktop is required) that don't have Python 2.3.

Still, it would be interesting to know what parts of twisted requires
2.3. I guess that if there's nobody that knows, I'll just have to live
with the 2.3 requirement, and testrun on Python 2.2 when I'm done
:-).

>> On the same matter - are there any plans on when to stop supporting
>> Python 2.3, Python 2.4, etc?
>
> I think we've generally maintained a 5-year support for Python
> releases.

Sounds good.

Thanks,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Systems Analyst/Developer    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00