[Twisted-Python] Using Twisted for a SOAP/SIP gateway

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Mar 15 11:29:49 MDT 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:34:59 +0100, Henrik Thostrup Jensen <thostrup at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Pedro
>
>On 3/15/07, Pedro Sanchez <psanchez at nortel.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I will likely get to work on a gateway between SOAP-based Web Services
>>and SIP-based services.
>

>This sounds slightly strange in my ears, but thats probably just me.
>
>I would like to explore the possibility of
>>implementing it using the Twisted framework and I'd appreciate if you
>>can give me suggestions on:
>>
>>1. Which SOAP stack to use. I've heard that ZopeLib is the way to go
>>these days.
>

>You probably want ZSI:  http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/
>
>I know it has some twisted web resource that might be usefull.
>
>I don't think there is any actual software called ZopeLib. SOAP and Zope has
>similar phonetic sounds, so there might a misunderstanding here.
>
>2. Which SIP stack to use.
>

>There is twisted/protocols/sip.py. There is Shtoom (
>http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/ShtoomProject) if you need voice over IP.

Slight correction.  Rather than twisted/protocols/sip.py, you probably want
to use the protocol code from Divmod Sine.  There is some effort to backport
improvements and fixes to Twisted, but this is still in progress, so you'll
be missing out on a ton of stuff if you use what's in any existing Twisted
release.

>>I will eventually fire questions about the overall architecture the
>>gateway software should have. Any hints here are welcome.
>

>Start by understanding each of the above things before combining them :-)

Jean-Paul