[Twisted-Python] mktap and twistd

John Pote johnpote at jptechnical.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 08:12:27 MST 2007

Hello all,

I'm just putting together a twisted app that will have an http server
for a control UI and a TCP server running my own protocol. I've read the
'Configuring and using the Twisted.Web Server' but am a bit confused as
to the relation between rolling my own as described at the beginning of
the howto and the use of mktap and twistd. Do I take it correctly that
mktap makes a simple application that is not particularly adaptable?
Assuming I roll my own as shown at the beginning of the howto how does
twistd fit in? I seem to remember reading somewhere that twistd was the
preferred means of starting a twisted app.

I've tried making a simple web server with mktap and twistd which works
fine except on my winXP box does not run in the background. This is a
winXP limitation I presume.

Any help appreciated,
John Pote