[Twisted-Python] seafelt uses twisted

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Mar 6 08:09:08 MST 2007

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:44:02 +1100, Justin Warren <daedalus at eigenmagic.com> wrote:
>Hey folks,
>
>This is sort of related to the SNMP replies I've made recently. It says
>in the wiki that you're interested in projects that use twisted, so I
>thought I'd let you know that seafelt (http://www.seafelt.com) now uses
>twisted at the core of the backend programs, for SNMP, ICMP and TCP
>discovery and polling, as well as asynchronous database access to
>PostgreSQL.
>
>seafelt is a network performance monitoring and reporting tool that I've
>been working on with Jim Crumpler for the past several years in our free
>time. We started it because we thought MRTG was too limited and the
>enterprise tools too unwieldy and expensive. We hope to do something
>commercial with it at some point, but it's free for personal and
>non-commercial use.
>
>The SNMP library is released under the MIT license, and I'd be happy to
>have the library components integrated into twisted, particularly bits
>like the ICMP code, since the twisted-pair stuff appears to have
>stalled? Incidentally, I wrote libsnmp quite a few years back because
>PySNMP had some performance issues at large scale, so I don't know if
>that's improved now that PySNMP is integrated with twisted.
>
>I recently ported all our old threaded code across to twisted and it's
>now even faster and more efficient, not to mention easier to debug. I
>think I now finally grok Deferreds, though I still struggle with Errback
>chains and Unhandled Deferred errors from time to time.
>
>So yeah, check it out if you're interested in this kind of thing.
>
>Big thumbs up to the twisted guys for providing us with such a great
>framework. You guys rock, but you knew that already. ;)

Hey, cool. :)  I'm doing some stuff in this area at the moment, so I may try
to do some of the work to get some of this stuff back into Twisted.  Pair
definitely hasn't had much attention for quite a while (I don't think the
latest pair release even works with the latest Twisted release), but maybe
this would be a good excuse to bring it up to date.

Jean-Paul