[Twisted-Python] twisted pysnmp status

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Thu Mar 29 15:41:06 EDT 2007

Brendan Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to know what the latest status is with twisted and pysnmp.
> Is pysnmp 4.x supported?
> Is full SNMPv3 supported?
> What is the roadmap and/or plans for twisted and pysnmp ???
PySNMP 4.x was, the last time I looked at it (probably more than a year
ago, now), *far* too slow for our client's purposes (monitoring 10,000+
cable modems).  In fact, even PySNMP 3.x was too slow (even with our
speed enhanced version).  We *needed* to be able to scale up to well
beyond 40,000+ cable modems per (reasonable) scanning box to have a
chance in the market where DSLAMs/CMTSs have that number of modems on a
single chasis (and 100s of thousands per head end).  As a result, we had
to defer on the product's biggest potential market.

SNMPv3 is not supported with TwistedSNMP.  We hacked in PySNMP 4.x,
discovered it just couldn't be used for our purposes and dropped the
porting effort before it was completed (which would have included the
SNMPv3 interfaces).

As for the roadmap, I'm not currently working on the project as we
aren't working on the product that was footing the bill any more. I
believe Zenoss is using the package to monitor (smaller) networks, so
they may have some requirements they need and decide to contribute or
pay for.  There are others using it for small installations as well,
they may be interested in working as well.  If there are people who want
to work on the project I'm certainly willing to add them to the
developer list on SourceForge.

HTH,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher