[Twisted-Python] exceptions.TypeError: ('Could not adapt', <twisted.spread.pb._PortalAuthChallenger instance at 0x013E3760>, <InterfaceClass twisted.cred.credentials.IUsernamePassword>)

Justin Johnson justinjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:01:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm running Python 2.5 and Twisted 2.5.0 on Windows 2003 Server.

I have a web site (Twisted/Nevow) where users login with a username
and password.  I save the username and password once they login
because the same username and password are used to connect to various
Perspective Broker servers, and I don't want to make users
reauthenticate for every server that is connected to behind the
scenes.  Since the password cannot be hashed when passed to PB I store
it in plaintext.

Up to this point I have been using a realm and file password db as
listed at the end of this email.  When I recently upgraded from
Twisted 2.4.0 to 2.5.0 and from Python 2.4 to 2.5 I get the following
error.

2007/03/28 10:23 -0500 [Broker,0,IP_ADDRESS] Peer will receive
following PB traceback:
2007/03/28 10:23 -0500 [Broker,0,IP_ADDRESS] Unhandled Error
	Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\twisted\spread\pb.py", line
847, in _recvMessage
	    netResult = object.remoteMessageReceived(self, message, netArgs, netKw)
	  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\twisted\spread\flavors.py",
line 119, in remoteMessageReceived
	    state = method(*args, **kw)
	  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\twisted\spread\pb.py", line
1217, in remote_respond
	    d = self.portalWrapper.portal.login(self, mind, IPerspective)
	  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\twisted\cred\portal.py", line
109, in login
	    return maybeDeferred(c.requestAvatarId, credentials
	--- <exception caught here> ---
	  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\twisted\internet\defer.py",
line 107, in maybeDeferred
	    result = f(*args, **kw)
	  File "d:\python25\lib\site-packages\ratcontrol\login.py", line 195,
in requestAvatarId
	    up = credentials.IUsernamePassword(c)