[Twisted-Python] Can I still run (most of) Twisted on Python 2.2?

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue Mar 27 00:54:18 EDT 2007

On Mar 26, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Pavel Pergamenshchik wrote:

> On 3/26/07, Erik Forsberg <forsberg at cendio.se> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> In TwistedCore/setup.py, I find that python 2.3 is required for
>> Twisted. I'd like to use Twisted for a project that currently
>> requires
>> only Python 2.2, which raises the question - which parts of Twisted
>> requires 2.3, and how much of it can I run on Python 2.2?
>
> Twisted has a test suite. Run that with Python 2.2 and see which
> tests fail.
>
> (something like "python22 bin/trial twisted", from the directory
> where Twisted was unpacked)

It's not going to work at all. I suspect it won't even come close to
importing. Check the commit logs for the removal of python 2.2
support -- there was a lot of compatibility cruft, including
backports of a few python modules. You're better off just using the
last version of Twisted with Python 2.2 support than trying to re-add
it to current Twisted.

James