[Twisted-Python] using stdio with Twisted

Neurophyre listbox at evernex.com
Mon Mar 19 22:16:23 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm building an old-school BBS client using Twisted.  It needs to
take user input, parse it, send messages over the wire and get
messages back and display them.. the usual.  I'm just now getting to
writing the UI and have run into a couple problems.

First, whether using protocol.Protocol or
protocols.basic.LineReceiver (in raw mode) with
internet.stdio.StandardIO, I have the same problem: the dataReceived
(or rawDataReceived in the case of LineReceiver in raw mode)
functions are only called after one types some text and hits return.
I need to process input on a keystroke level, since there will be
prompts at which a single keystroke will do things.

Second, I was looking at
twisted.conch.insults.insults.TerminalProtocol after some Googling --
does anyone know if I can just drop this in in place of
protocols.basic.LineReceiver (or whatever) and have it work properly,
or does it require some special invocation and/or grab stdio by itself?

Thanks!