[Twisted-Python] Implementing streaming (broadcast) TCP servers

Carl Zmola zmola at acm.org
Thu Jun 28 09:32:03 EDT 2007

Adam,

In general, if you are streaming different data to each client, it is
going to be expensive.  There really are only 3 areas to optimize

1) disk IO  --  Read in bigger chunks and make sure you flush your
buffer.  You might want to drop into C and write your buffering or find
a good "ring buffer"  (big array that you reuse for the stream) so you
don't have to allocate and  deallocate memory all the time.
2) Network IO  -- check what protocol you can use.  If you can get away
with lossy streaming, UDP or RTCP might be wins.
3) CPU -- Profile your application and see where the time is being
spent.  You need to be careful about memory copying and allocation.
Python normally handles this well, so this probably isn't the problem.

OOPS,  I just realized that you said the same data to multiple clients.
Is the data the same at the same time, meaning the clients are all
getting the same data simultaneously?  If so, if you have any control
over the network, then UDP Multicast can be a big win.  You would only
be sending out one stream of data and everyone would hear it.

Also, I would look at making sure that you are not copying data around much.

I must admit that my Knowledge of all the twisted classes that are
available is limited, so I don't know what class to use but I would
suggest dropping in to the low level classes below web2 since you will
need a little more control for this than normal web applications.

Carl
zmola at acm.org