[Twisted-Python] Server/Client

Christian Simms christian.simms at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:19:32 EDT 2007

On 6/20/07, Delgado, Edgardo CIV NAVAIR 4.1.4.3 <edgardo.delgado at navy.mil>
wrote:

> Here's the code:
>
> from twisted.internet.protocol import ServerFactory, ClientFactory,
> Protocol, ClientCreator
> from twisted.protocols.basic import LineReceiver
> from twisted.application.service import Service, Application,
> IServiceCollection
> from twisted.application.internet import TCPServer, TCPClient
> from twisted.internet.stdio import StandardIO
> from twisted.internet import reactor
> import re
>
> class DnLinkProtocol(LineReceiver):
>
>     def connectionMade(self):
>         self.sendLine("Connected from: " + "host " +
>                              str(self.transport.getPeer().host) + " " +
>                              "port " +
>                              str(self.transport.getPeer().port) + '\n')
>
>     def lineReceived(self, line):
>         self.sendLine("DnLink echo: " + line + '\n')
>
> class DSPEProtocol(LineReceiver):
>
>     def connectionMade(self):
>         self.sendLine("Connected from: " + "host " +
>                              str(self.transport.getPeer().host) + " " +
>                              "port " +
>                              str(self.transport.getPeer().port) + '\n')
>
>     def lineReceived(self, line):
>         self.sendLine("DSPE echo: " + line + '\n')
>
> class PAPSExecService(Service):
>
>     def getDnLinkInFactory(self):
>         f = ServerFactory()
>         f.protocol = DnLinkProtocol
>         f.startService = self.startService
>         return f
>
>     def getDSPEInFactory(self):
>         f = ServerFactory()
>         f.protocol = DSPEProtocol
>         f.startService = self.startService
>         return f
>
> application = Application('PAPSExec')
> f = PAPSExecService()
> serviceCollection = IServiceCollection(application)
> TCPServer(9595,
> f.getDnLinkInFactory()).setServiceParent(serviceCollection)
> TCPServer(8585,
> f.getDSPEInFactory()).setServiceParent(serviceCollection)
>

> I would like that, for example, when data is received in port 9595 it
> will forward the data to another server in port xxxx.
> Where would I create a TPC Client connection?
> Where would I send the message?
>
> Edgar

Assuming you want to create a new connection every time a client connects to
your port 9595, it's slightly tricky because you can't just forward the data
as soon as you get it, since the connection to the other server may not be
created yet.  A relatively complex way is explained in the Python Cookbook
in article "Hex-dump port-forwarding network proxy
server"<http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/502293>,
where it queues up the data until the outgoing connection is made.  A
simpler way is used in twisted.protocols.portforward.ProxyFactory/ProxyServer,
where it just pauses receiving data until the outgoing connection is made.
I found a Python mailing list
entry<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-June/212102.html>which
explains how to override the portforward's methods.

Cheers,
Christian