[Twisted-Python] Twisted TCP Server Maximum Simultaneous Connections

Alvin Delagon adelagon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:15:10 EDT 2007

First of all, I want to send my gratitude to the people who developed
Twisted. ^_^

We have this XMPP server that is implemented using twisted (using the epoll
reactor). I was tasked to know how many simultaneous connections it can
handle. So I wrote an XMPP benchmark tool using twisted that spawns multiple
clients. When we used the benchmark tool on two PCs (each spawning 20,000
XMPP clients), the number of successful connect/authorize varies between
37,000~39,000. Adding more clients we get the, "Connection Closed cleanly"
error on the XMPP server. Spawning two XMPP servers didn't help to increase
the simultaneous connections.

Did we hit the ceiling? Or is there anyway we can increase this further? We
already configured the ulimit parameters and tinkered with some kernel
configurations.