[Twisted-Python] profiling twisted

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Mon Jul 2 10:52:44 MDT 2007

On 11:14 am, exarkun at divmod.com wrote:
>On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:04:56 +0200, Markus Schiltknecht
><markus at bluegap.ch> wrote:
>>[snip]
>>Anyway, with very simple timing measures within the twisted server
>>itself, I've figured out what was causing the delays:
>>reactor.spawnProcess() takes more than a second.  I knew that fork()
>>was expensive, but that expensive?
>
>This isn't normal.

Markus, can you instrument spawnProcess and figure out which *part* of
it is taking so long?  Like exarkun says: this is not normal.  (I wonder
if we are unwittingly calling some blocking API in there?  I don't think
so, but...)
>>What I'm doing now feels very dirty: I'm calling
>>reactor.spawnProcess() from a thread. (Yes, I'm taking care that only
>>one thread can spawn a process at any time.) At least on my Linux Dev-
>>Box, that seems to work - and resolves my issue. But... calling fork()
>>from a thread???
>
>Er.  That's not supported.  The only Twisted API you can call from a
>thread
>is reactor.callFromThread.

In other words, this may appear to work, but if you suddenly burst into
flame unexpectedly, don't blame *us*.  And you probably will,
eventually, if you keep doing that.