[Twisted-Python] Twisted server is 5 times SLOWER on Solaris than Linux?

Jarrod Roberson jarrod at vertigrated.com
Thu Jan 18 15:10:44 MST 2007

On 1/18/07, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:

> On 01:59 am, jarrod at vertigrated.com wrote:
>
> >We have LOTS and LOTS of test harness code and profiling code to pinpoint
> >where bottlenecks are. We are going to have process a couple of terabytes
> >day thru this system. Latency thru the system is a high priority because
> of
> >what kind of system it is.
>
> If you do manage to keep Twisted in the loop on this project, please share
> what strategy you used.  It is unfortunately rare that Twisted is itself a
> really performance-critical component of any system (especially a highly
> parallel system), so information about optimization is hard to find.

It isn't really a failing of Twisted, on non-sparc hardware it preforms
awesome! The SPARC hardware is the problem, and the T1000 / T2000 we have be
benchmarking just doesn't place nice with single threaded CPU bound apps.

We are going to try and replace Twisted with Apache 2.2.x and create a
module that does raw connection handliing, and go with the threaded mpm and
see how that preforms with the same test client harness we are benchmarking
with now.