[Twisted-Python] Using twisted.trial with nose unittest system

Allen Bierbaum abierbaum at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 16:47:48 MST 2007

On 2/6/07, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:
> On 2/7/07, Allen Bierbaum <abierbaum at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone tried/succeded at using twisted.trial with the nose unittest system?
> >
> > The twisted.trial system works well for pure twisted testing but I
> > would like to get some of the advaned capabilities of nose in there as
> > well.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Hey Allen,
>
> I haven't used (or even heard of) nose before. What features from nose
> do you want to use with Trial?

Nose seems like of like the standard python unittesting framework on
steroids.  It has a great deal of nice features.  You can take a look
here: http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/

> As for getting them to work together, Trial tries very hard to be
> compatible with the standard library's unittest module, so if nose
> understands that, it ought to understand Trial tests.[1]

I spent some more time investigating this today and found that someone
has written a plugin for nose that allows it to test twisted code.  I
don't think it looks as nice as trial, but it should work for the
basics.    You can see it here:
http://python-nose.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nose/twistedtools.py

If I run into some serious issues I will try my best to extend this
plugin to support additional capabilities from trial.

Thanks,
Allen