[Twisted-Python] How to configure setup.py for a twistd TAP app

Chris Miles miles.chris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 06:15:59 MST 2007

I want to deploy my Twisted app as a Twisted Application Plugin for
twistd as per
http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/tap.html

I want to distribute my app as a tarball, so the user would untar it
and run "python setup.py install".  Then they would run "twistd myapp"
to start it.

How do I configure setup.py so that twisted/plugins/myapp.py is created?

Where do I create the twisted/plugins directory?

(I see how this works if I run twistd from the directory containing
twisted/plugins, or if I set PYTHONPATH, but I don't expect my users
to have to do this).

Cheers,
Chris