[Twisted-Python] Server/Client bi-directional data-transfer - need a solution

Sajit Rao sajitrao at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 20:07:41 MST 2007

Hi,

*The Goal:*

   - I'm trying to write a simple server/client app where the client can
   send the server either a small string like "hello" OR a small file (txt,
   pdf, ppt,.. let's say < 5MB ).
   - The server needs to figure out if the data it received is a simple
   string or a file and symmetrically may decide to send back to the client a
   simple string or a small file.
   - As a bonus, It's highly desirable that the transfer be secure - but
   it's ok for the first version if it isn't

*Questions:*

What's the cleanest way to accomplish this? I've been looking at the single
Howto/Example that exists for *twisted.conch* but still can't understand
several things. In particular

   1. Should I create two separate channels between server and client -
   one for simple strings and one for files so that the client or server knows
   the type of data on that channel?

   2. Should the files be mime-encoded at one end and mime-decoded at the
   other so that file-type is automatically handled?

   3. I've read that there is a python package called paramiko that
   implements ssh2 transfer - how does this compare with twisted.conch?

This is my first time playing around with twisted or any kind of networking
stuff so any kind of help will be appreciated

Thanks!

Sajit