[Twisted-Python] Implementation of the Erlang node protocol

Thomas Hervé therve at free.fr
Mon Dec 24 13:27:17 EST 2007

Hello people,

I want to point out to a project I started in my Twisted sandbox to
implement the Erlang node protocol:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/sandbox/therve/erlang. It's
vaguely inspired from the py_interface project:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~tab/erlang/py_interface/.

What's the content? It allows you to create a hidden Erlang node as a
Twisted process, so that you can call methods on another Erlang node and
receive calls (like you can do with C or Java with standard erlang
distribution). It implements serialization and deserialization for most
of the basic types, and both direction RPC. The benefit, of course, is
to be able to get all Twisted protocols for free inside an Erlang
program, or on the contrary to access Erlang power inside a Twisted
server. I'm even writing a lit bit of documention:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/sandbox/therve/erlang.xhtml?format=raw.

I started it hoping to use it for something serious, but I couldn't, so
now the project is a bit stalled until someone really use it. I'd be
glad if it could be useful for anyone, and I'm willing to help by
debugging and adding features. You can contact me on the #twisted
channel or on this ML.

--
Thomas