[Twisted-Python] SMS sending with Python

Alvin Delagon adelagon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 05:56:13 EST 2007

So far there's no free available SMS Gateway protocol implementation in
python if you search through the net (there is one called pySMPP but isn't
maintained anymore. You can download it to have an idea).

I strongly recommend twisted-python in writing an SMS gateway
implementation. It's a very powerful tool once you tame it as long you have
in-depth understanding of what protocol you're going to implement (kudos to
twisted-python developers). :)

Just some advice to help you get going:
CIMD2 (Nokia)- can be implemented by twisted.protocols.basic.LineReceiver
CSP (Terabyte)- is just an exchange of http posts so it can be implemented
by twisted.web
SMPP (mBlox)- is packet based twisted.internet.protocol.Protocol + struct
will do the trick.

Some telcos might provide a different protocol though but these three are
the popular ones.