[Twisted-Python] deferToThread crashing on Windows, stable on Linux

Allen Bierbaum abierbaum at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:57:39 EDT 2007

I have run into an interesting little bug and before I try to hunt it
down further I wanted to check and see if anyone else has seen
anything similar.

I have a fairly complex twisted 2.5 application that uses
deferToThread to spawn off worker threads that need to call some
blocking non-twisted code (query webserver, query database, etc).  The
application uses these workers quite a bit but there are normally
never more then 2 or 3 outstanding requests running.

The application runs rock-solid on Linux, but it crashes in less then
a minute on Windows.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?  Are there any known issues
of deferToThread being less stable on Windows then Linux or are their
any differences between how twisted works on the platforms that I
should be looking into?

-Allen