[Twisted-Python] UDP + TCP + Serial

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 20 14:28:22 EDT 2007

I'm looking for a way to combine serial input with UDP (and possibly
TCP) communication.

Currently I have a very simple quick-and-dirty script using pyserial and
the socket module without Twisted that reads line-based data from a
serial port and sends it out using UDP. It works very well, but
functional and reliability requirements are growing and I'm looking for
a better design. New functionality that we'll need is connection to a
database, two-way network communication to control the program while
it's running, and perhaps the ability to use encrypted connections for
the output data.

Twisted seems nice, but apart from a few simple hello-world-style test I
don't have any experience with it. It doesn't seem too difficult though,
except for one thing: I can't find any concrete information on how to
combine serial communication and network communication. What reactor do
I need? How do I initialize it? How can I make it listen to both a
serial port and one or more UDP and/or TCP ports? I need to do this on
Linux, but it would be nice to have it working on Windows too.

Many thanks,
Roel

Roel Schroeven