[Twisted-Python] removing unsupported reactors in twisted 2.6: qt, corefoundation, threadedselect, wx

Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wsanchez at wsanchez.net
Mon Sep 25 20:41:06 MDT 2006

On Sep 23, 2006, at 7:20 PM, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> The reactors presented in the subject all seem to have been
> abandoned.  Even our friends at Apple are mainly concerned with the
> use of Twisted for server work, and while they've been attempting
> to help us find someone to poke around GUI <-> reactor integration
> on OS X, it's not their area of expertise.

   To be clear, the need for tsr or cfr is not limited to GUI
applications; it's needed by anything using CoreFoundation and
therefore requiring CFRunLoop.  Many non-GUI applications require a
CFRunLoop.  Server applications that want to use any of the above-BSD
OS X toolkits (eg. via PyObjC) will fall into this camp.

   I expect to be in this category eventually, though I have been
avoiding it to date because PyObjC isn't presently included in OS X.

>> tsreactor is private in twisted - starts with _, so it doesn't really
>> guarantee anything or make any promises about working, and it's very
>> useful for integrating with broken event loops.
>
> It's exposed to users as a reactor on the command line.  Maybe
> *that* should have an "_" added to it as well.  However, if we're
> going to keep it around, it should have a buildbot, end of story.

   Well, you just got this spiffy XServe.  Is it not capable of
running a tsr buildbot?  Would it be hard to maintain?  (I seriously
have no clue.)

	-wsv