[Twisted-Python] removing unsupported reactors in twisted 2.6: qt,

Robert Gravina robert at gravina.com
Mon Sep 25 01:26:04 MDT 2006

> That means that they do not currently work as well as the other
> reactors, but more seriously, if they were to be *completely*
> broken (say, start raising exceptions upon import)

Hate to break it to you, but I tried a preview build of soon-to-be-
released (I think) wxPython 2.7, and the twisted code raised
exceptions on import :) I reinstalled 2.6.3.3 so can't show you the
traceback. Dailies are available here if anyone wants to see what I
mean.
http://starship.python.net/crew/robind/wxPython/daily/

Anyway, I am currently using wxPython and Twisted in a project and I
would sorely miss either of them!!! I just wanted to cast my vote as
another developer using this (killer) combination! wx and Twisted
(especially PB) are making short work of writing a multi-user client/
server app. From what I've been able to find, wx is the only GUI
toolkit that is cross platform and rich. Qt isn't an option for me
because of it's expensive commercial licensing, and Tk just looks
plain horrible. There must be many other users wx/Twisted, surely.

I haven't experienced any problems using wxPython and Twisted
together, except perhaps for this.  Normally, a wx app will shutdown
when the last window in your applciation closes. Since the reactor
stops this from happening I workaround this by maintaining a list of
open windows and on close of a window I remove it from the list and
then check if it's empty. If it is, I shutdown the reactor.

Robert