[Twisted-Python] removing unsupported reactors in twisted 2.6: qt, corefoundation, threadedselect, wx

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sat Sep 23 22:31:49 MDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 00:44:03 -0300, Felipe Almeida Lessa <felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:

>So the only GUI toolkits that will be officialy supported are going to
>be Gtk, Tk and PyUI?

Thanks for reminding me.

Neither Tk nor PyUI have buildbots.  However, they're both implemented using polling timed events running on top of another reactor... I don't know how much "support" those really count for.  It might be good to remove them as well, but they're very little code.

GTK is supported, has a buildbot, and is currently green.  Frankly, the people who currently do at least 90% of the maintenance on Twisted (myself included) only care about this toolkit, so it's the one that is likely to remain the best supported.  It is my sincere hope that someone will port GTK to the Cocoa APIs for OS X at some point in the near future.  Then I can cease caring even about corefoundation ;).

The Win32 event loop is also supported, although its buildbot still isn't green yet.  That is a "toolkit" of sorts.  I think that it might even work with MFC but I'm a bit murky on the details.

So, yes, the situation is even worse than you suggest; unless someone else volunteers to help, we will have 2 supported toolkits: GTK, and GDI.

Twisted's architecture was developed with GUI toolkits in mind, and I would like it to support as many as possible.  I hope that one day, all toolkit developers will actually care whether Twisted supports their code or not.  Until now, though, it seems that we have been unable to attract the attention of even one member of each community with the appropriate experience and motivation to help out.