[Twisted-Python] Support for ICMP ping?

Nicolas D. Cesar ncesar at lunix.com.ar
Tue Sep 12 13:20:25 MDT 2006

El Lunes, 11 de Septiembre de 2006 23:42, Jean-Paul Calderone escribió:
> I'll second this recommendation.  You need root privileges on most systems
> to open an ICMPable socket anyway.  Running your whole process as root just
> so you can ping some stuff is kind of unfortunate.

Thanks Jean-Paul for the reply.

Yes, i'm aware of that,  but in my case, I need to run my application as root
anyway because im using ip_queue to filter dhcp packets, and only root can do
that.

So I was asking if there is any plans of expanding twisted, so a root-capable
twisted application could ping the world!

I have little python and twisted skills , but if there is interest I could
help in the develop.

Greetings,

BTW, the application I'm developing (and all my work actually) is released as
Free Software. If anyone is interested in having it, just mail me or wait
until I put a nice-little-project page on-line.

As allways: Pardon my English.
--
Nicolás D. César <ncesar at lunix.com.ar>
Lunix S.R.L. -[ http://www.lunix.com.ar ]-