[Twisted-Python] _dumbwin32proc and PIPE_NOWAIT

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sat Sep 30 15:05:46 EDT 2006

Jean-Paul Calderone ha scritto:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:06:03 +0200, Manlio Perillo
> <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Here is the main code.
>> I suspect such a thing will never be accepted into Twisted ;-):
>>
>> [snip]
>>

> This looks like it could be an interesting beginning for better terminal
> support on Windows.  It would be better if you included it in unified
> diff format in the issue tracker, though, along with the unit tests you
> developed with it.  I don't know if anyone out there is interested enough
> to finish it, but if it correctly provides even a basic level of
> functionality, it might prove a useful starting place for some other
> developer.

I just remembered that IPython came with a readline implementation in
Python + ctypes.
There is a complete console module with ansi terminal emulation.

The idea is to write a conio module with an implementation for both
Windows and POSIX (like serialport).

> Comprehensive test coverage and developer-oriented
> documentation
> improve the chances of someone else picking up where you've left off.

I'll try to reuse the console module from IPython.
Is it a problem the use of ctype?
This is not really necessary with pywin32.

>> The ConsoleWriter does not need to support asyncronous I/O, so it is a
>> simple wrapper for ConsoleWrite.
>
> Why?  Can't writing block?  What if you write a huge amount of data?  What
> if the user clicks and holds on the terminal, or selects a menu or resizes
> the window?  Won't those lead to a write blocking for an arbitrary amount
> of time?

Ok. I'll just copy the code from _PollableWritePipe.
If I'm not wrong it simply write a chunk of data at every tick of the timer.

>> This code still have some problems[1]...
>> For now I have added this to _pollingfile module.
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>> [1]
>> How can be tested such a thing?
>>

> Presumably by launching a process in a terminal and then communicating with
> it in order to assert things about its behavior.

I'll try to do something.

Regards  Manlio Perillo