[Twisted-Python] Twisted & Qt

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Sep 26 14:59:57 EDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Timothy Fitz <TimothyFitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/06, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> > That ticket doesn't seem to refer to setuptools at all, just distutils.  I certainly haven't seen a discussion of removing twisted.plugin and switching to entry points.
>

> Bob said "Maybe this is a good time to consider setuptools support?"
> and I was trying to answer that one question. I agree that it's not
> about moving entry points, but distutils is a required precursor for
> setuptools.
>
> Gah, sorry for the confusion.
>
> To clarify *once* we make it to actually using distutils, then we'll
> talk about setuptools (it's the direction I'd like to go, but there
> have been significant issues that I think were resolved but I haven't
> checked in the past six months).

Well, if the main setup.py is a single call to distutils.core.setup()
then setuptools support comes more or less for free. easy_install has
no problem building distutils-based stuff, so long as it's not insane.

entry point support would require setuptools, but I'd be happy just to
have setup.py be sane so that Twisted could be listed as a dependency
by setuptools-using projects and installed with easy_install.

-bob