[Twisted-Python] removing unsupported reactors in twisted 2.6: qt,

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sun Sep 24 15:39:00 EDT 2006

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 22:41:23 -0700, "Uwe C. Schroeder" <uwe at oss4u.com> wrote:
>Well, for me the threadedselectreactor works quite nicely with wx.
>It has it's flaws and I've spent some time working around them. On the other
>hand if that reactor is dropped, I'd rather drop Twisted from my application
>than rewrite the GUI part with a toolkit that kind of sucks and looks like
>crap on most platforms (i.e. GTK or TK).

You have lots of other options.

1. Continue using the wxreactor code by copying it into your application.  We could even provide a separate page with "unmaintained reactors" for download.  That way you could fix the reactor   I'm just talking about removing the code from Twisted, not ordering soldiers to destroy it everywhere that it exists.  In fact, this would probably be better for you anyway, if you intend to keep up with future versions of Twisted, because it would allow you to apply hacks to keep your particular application working even if the reactor in question breaks with a new release of Twisted.

2. Help fix the problem.  This is really what I'd prefer.  You don't have to have all the appropriate knowledge right now, just sufficient interest and energy to commit to *caring* that the buildbot is red in the future, and trying to fix it.

3. Find someone else to fix the problem.  Do you know any other wx/twisted users who don't subscribe to this list, but know something about networking?

>I like Twisted PB and I like wx - that's pretty much all I have to say about
>this.  Let's say it this way: the network part of an application is what
>makes it work, the GUI part is what makes the money - guess what's dropped
>first :-(

4. Finance someone else to fix the problem, since you say you're making money from this.  Maybe you can find a university student with enough time on their hands who would do it for a few hundred bucks.  If you want to make money off of other people's work without contributing anything back, you may find that occasionally they do not do things in the most convenient way possible for you :).