Other wx/twisted methods (was Re: [Twisted-Python] removing unsupported reactors in twisted 2.6: qt, corefoundation, threadedselect, wx)

Stephen Waterbury waterbug at pangalactic.us
Sat Sep 23 23:33:11 EDT 2006

Hi Glyph,

I completely agree with your position on moving those reactors out of
the production Twisted codebase.  The only one remotely interesting to
me is the wx reactor, but having thought about this issue for a long
time, I've decided to try the Pyro connection (proposed by someone).

If I can get that to work (which I haven't had time to play with yet),
it would seem to offer several advantages:  (1) running wx and twisted
event loops in completely separate processes, (2) making relatively
minimal use of threads in the wx process (well-supported by the wx
libraries) to drive Pyro, and using the usual twisted paradigm in
the twisted process.  I would appreciate any advice, but I don't see
any show-stoppers.  I would do the Pyro communications on 127.0.0.1,
since Pyro has essentially zero security, keeping it completely within
the local machine.  Twisted would handle all external protocols.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve