[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r18220 - Make tests clean up after themselves

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Sep 22 11:36:26 EDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:12:20 -0700, Cory Dodt <corydodt at gmail.com> wrote:
>   * The changes modify public APIs which are undocumented (ie, a function
>which has no docstring is modified, or a class which has no docstring has
>methods added to it) without adding documentation.
>
>Since when are tests public APIs?

Hmm, good point, I guess "public API" is a bit misleading there.

Tests also need docstrings to explain what they're testing, and what code they're supposed to cover.  The test docstrings need to explain the verified constraints of the public API, or to explicitly say "this is not testing a public API" - although the vast majority of tests are verifying at least some behavior of a public API, although not directly.

I'll update that document a bit later.