[Twisted-Python] Help with TCPServer and listenTCP

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri Oct 20 08:55:25 MDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:56:38 +0100 (BST), James Healey <healeyjames at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>I've been looking over some Twisted arcticles over the
>past day or 2 and havnt found much help on TCPServer,
>ive seen server/client exampels which use listenTCP
>and connectTCP, but then i also find one that uses
>TCPServer.
>
>What are the differences between TCPServer and
>listenTCP, and what are the parameters to TCPServer?

The parameters to each are the same.  The difference is
that TCPServer creates an IService provider (which can
be added to a service hierarchy and will only create a
listening TCP server after its startService method is
called), whereas reactor.listenTCP returns a provider of
IListeningPort which begins listening almost immediately
and does not integrate with the service system.

>I'm trying to write a server/client app which handles
>a build system, where the build system has x number of
>builds it needs to handle. Currently each build is
>done at a set time during the night, so one build
>might start at 7pm and then the next build might start
>at 10pm, each build is dependent on other builds.
>
>A user can request a build, which will then go to the
>server and ask if it can start a build and then start
>with the first dependancy it needs to build.

Are you familiar with buildbot?

>But my main question is about the TCPServer call and
>how it differs from listenTCP.

I hope this clears things up,

Jean-Paul